Wednesday, March 26, 2008

YOU KNOW YOU'RE IN THE SOUTH WHEN...

In honor of the GORGEOUS weather we've been having around here, I thought I might give all y'all folks who might think I'm rubbing it in by bragging about how it's been in the 70's (and even the 80's) this week, exactly what we still have to look forward to here in "the South"... 'cause it's all fun and games until somebody gets burned!

  1. You notice the radiator is overheating before you even start the car.
  2. You no longer associate bridges over rivers (or even the rivers) with water.
  3. The thermometer in the lid of your Bar-B-Que Grill shows 150 degrees before you light it.
  4. You hear the weather forecast for 105 degrees and don't even flinch 'cause that's nothing!
  5. You are skilled in using only two fingers to drive your car because your steering wheel is so hot.
  6. You can make instant sun tea...instantly.
  7. The best parking is determined by shade...not distance.
  8. Hotter water comes from the cold water tap than from the hot one.
  9. You need an oven mitt to open the car door.
  10. Sunscreen with less than 50 SPF is called "hand cream".
  11. You consider fabric the deluxe interior because leather sticks to your legs.
  12. You learn that a seat belt makes a pretty good branding iron...
  13. Your biggest bicycle wreck fear..."What if I get knocked out and lay on the pavement and cook to death?"
  14. You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.
  15. At the first cool spell (anything below 70 degrees ~ Brrr!!!), you declare it's "good weather for chili".
  16. You know ALL SIX seasons:
    Spring ~ February 16 to April 15 (temp: 50 to 85 degrees)
    Summer ~ April 16 to July 15 (temp: 90 to 98 degrees)
    Super Summer ~ July 16 to September 10 (temp: 100 to 115 degrees)
    Still Summer ~ September 11 to October 1 (temp: 90 to 98 degrees)
    Fall ~ October 2 to December 1 (temp: 50 to 85 degrees)
    Winter ~ December 2 to February 15 (temp: anything below 45, but it always feels like -10 because of the wind!)
  17. And finally, you know that green grass DOES burn!
Thanks to Mercedes at Mercedes Rocks
for encouraging us to find a little each week!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. All of my Dad's cars except his current one-finally!
2. Isn't that the truth. We have so many bridges here-lol!
3. I'll have to ask Jedd's Dad about this one-hehe.
4. I still flinch-because the humidiity will be 105% HA!
5. Jedd can even drive with his knee-not me!
6. For sure-yummy!
7. Always!
8. That always boggles me too!
9. Yep!
10. YES-I use that for the face too and it has to be 50+if I am going to be out in the sun.
11. I have leather, and black at that, and I hate it! But I can't complain with free!
12. I always wear my seatbelt, but it always leaves marks-so much for ironing-hehe!
13. Never thought of that one-aaahh!
14. Most definitely!
15. Had chili the other night!
16. I know these.
17. And the grass part-bless it last year during the drought. Maybe we will catch up sometime!

Thanks so much for playing! I had more participants this week and they were all such good posts!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Ugh. You're making me glad I live where I do, grey days and all!

ShannonW said...

Thanks for checking out my blog!!!

Frog gigging is the practice of hunting frogs with a spear. The spear is called a gig and usually has at least three tines, like a trident. Flashlights are sometimes used to daze the frogs, for easier capture.

ShannonW said...

I love sun tea!

Irishcoda said...

LOL, I guess it gets pretty hot there! I posted an explanation of some NJ stuff here. Enjoy!

Jessica said...

LOL!! That is good. What state do you live in? We are in Georgia.

Jill said...

I'm am alive... I've just been really busy this week. Thanks for checking on me!!!

jubilee said...

#12 made me really laugh. I have personal experience with this one! Ouch!