Tuesday, March 4, 2008

THE HOSTESS WITH THE MOSTEST

You always hear that term. It always sounds a little goofy. Mostest. It's not even a real word! I do think, however, that it can have real meaning.

If you look up "most" in the dictionary *, you will find the following descriptions after the definitions:

  • get the most out of something
    to use something as fully as possible
  • make the most of something
    to take full advantage of something
  • the most
    the best of all
Are you getting the most out of life? Do you take full advantage of all life has to offer? When I was in college, I took a course by an amazing professor and author ~ Dr. T ~ that was one of those life-changing kind of classes. It was appropriately called "Life Learning Skills". I wish that I could take it again. Though I appreciated it as a nineteen-year-old girl, and I cannot even begin to imagine how much more I would get from the course as a thirty-something-year-old woman.

Like the course name, the course description was simply "Life Learning Skills". What I remember most about the class was how we were challenged to appreciate the most basic things in our lives ~ things that could have been easily overlooked if we chose to overlook them. We made a poster collage about ourselves, which included our hobbies, likes, dislikes, family, friends...really it could include whatever we felt like including. It was used to describe ourselves to the rest of the class.
Life Learning Skill ~ Know yourself.

We also made a time line of sorts called a "Life-Line". It included significant events and people in our lives that made us who we were, and we presented that to the class as well. Wow! I cannot even begin to describe how different my collage and "Life-Line" would be today! Determining who I was at nineteen and how I became that way...well, let's just say I was nineteen. I had barely begun to scratch the surface of knowing, well...anything!
Life Learning Skill ~ Know who and what has helped define you.

My most special memory of the class, however, is how Dr. T jump started our day for us! The class was only offered at 7:50 a.m., and being on time was strongly encouraged, as tardiness affected your final grade. This was an extra-special challenge for me! For one, I'm a night owl. For two, I was pledging a sorority, or as we called them "social clubs", at the time. For three??? I lived all the way across campus, and walking was the only option.
Life Learning Skill ~ Start your day early.
Life Learning Skill ~ Get enough sleep.
Life Learning Skill ~ Be on time.
Life Learning Skill ~ Be organized.
Life Learning Skill ~ Prioritize.

At 7:50 a.m. each class morning, we were instructed to get out our notebooks and list ten good things that had happened to us that day. Ten. At 7:50 a.m. At the beginning of the course, it was sometimes a challenge to think of ten good things that had happened between waking up and 7:50 a.m., especially after a long night of pledging, studying, and general college activities!

For the first few weeks, there was the obligatory rumble of groans ~ no one realizing in the beginning what a magnificent gift we were being given!


"Ten things, Dr. T??? How can I list ten things when it's early:thirty in the morning???"

"I don't have ten things that I'm thankful for yet. Nothing has happened today!"

"My day has been horrible so far ~ I couldn't find anything to wear and then I had to walk to class!"

To all of which Dr. T would smile...and laugh...and clap his hands together to reply, "Oh, but it sounds like you have been blessed abundantly!!!"

"How are you able to tell what time it is right now? Are your eyes able to see???"

"I can tell you two things that happened before you even got out of bed!! First of all, you woke up today!! And you woke up because you could hear your alarm!!"

"Ahhh! But obviously you do have clothes to wear, not to mention that your legs work!

Upon finishing our lists, Dr. T would lead us in a rousing version of "Born To Win" ~ a song from Zig Ziglar. "Born to win...born to win...we were born to win..." I remember that we all found the singing slightly humorous at first. Maybe humorous isn't the right word, though. At 7:55 a.m., the better word might have been "shocking". It was a shock to the system to sing so boldly, so early! It was the best class that I ever took. I wish ~ oh, how I wish ~ that I could take it again. It did not take long (maybe a week) to see what Dr. T was doing for us. He was challenging us. He wanted for us to realize "the most"! He wanted us to use our situations to the fullest, to take advantage of all that life had to offer, and to recognize what is best of all.
Life Learning Skill ~ Be thankful for the simple things in life.
Life Learning Skill ~ Believe in yourself.

The lessons I learned from Dr. T and from others in the class are lessons that I try to remember every single day. My life is not perfect by any means, but these little life learning skills, often make the difference from a good day or a bad day. So without further delay, I'd like to introduce my very own post and host:

TEN THINGS TUESDAY!

This is to take time to recognize ten good things that have already happened today. Recognize and be thankful for the small things in life!
  1. I woke up and Mr. Brownstone was gone to his Bible Study.
  2. This means that Mr. Brownstone seriously considers his role as the spiritual head of our family.
  3. I could hear little tiny birds chirping outside the window as I let my body adjust to waking.
  4. This reminded me of what it would feel like to be Snow White, and it was a silly thought that made me smile.
  5. Tornado and Twister did not resist too much when it was time to get out of bed.
  6. They bounded out of the bed with strong, healthy bodies when I told them to look out the window.
  7. We saw a beautiful sight, as the sunshine was brightly shining, but the rooftops were all capped with snow.
  8. We were able to perform a "Random Act of Kindness" on the way to school this morning, and that was super cool!
  9. We also had a fun discussion on the way to school today. I only take the kids to school one day a week, and for some reason, that seems to be an extra-special time for us.
  10. Tornado has something really awesome to look forward to all day long, and Tornado's excitement fills me with joy and excitement, too!
Yes, if I can find and not overlook the simple joys of today, then no matter what happens, it is a good day!!!

I hope you can find your ten things, too! It should only take you a few minutes because we all are blessed in some way, shape, or form. Here's how this little carnival of blessings, thanksgiving, and happiness works:
"Ten Things Tuesday" Guidelines
  • Each Tuesday (at least), I will post a list of ten things that I am thankful for that day.
  • Write a post listing your ten things that you are thankful for that have happened that day - no matter what time!
  • Please come back to my Ten Things post for the day, and post a link to your actual post ~ not the front page of your blog ~ in the "Mr. Linky" section. That way, people can find the exact post for which they are looking!
  • And please, please, please...provide a link back to my page on your page, so other people can join in the fun and thanksgiving; and so they will know that XBOX Wife is the hostess of this carnival. By you providing a link to me, and by me providing a place for you to link, it will be a great way to help this thing grow! This will be the hub of all the activity, but it will be beneficial to everyone that participates. (Soon, I'll have a really cool button you can add to your blog, too!)
  • Please do not host your own "Ten Things" ~ it's something I'm passionate about, and I'd like for people to link back here!
  • Check back for more of my ten things during the week, and definitely check back on Tuesdays! I do it everyday and sometimes post them! You can always join in on the fun, Tuesday or not!
  • Have fun with it, and be thankful!
  • Be sure and click on other people's lists and leave them comments, too! By encouraging one another, and by celebrating what we each have to be thankful for...well, that will just bless all of us! Don't forget to leave a comment here, too!
  • Come back next week for more of Ten Things Tuesday!!!
"Give thanks to the LORD,
for He is good;

His love endures forever."

~ Psalm 118:1



*Encarta® World English Dictionary [North American Edition] © & (P)2007 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

Ten Things Tuesday Participants
1. Jennifer

Learn more about Ten Things Tuesday here.

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.



15 comments:

Rosheeda said...

http://abeeutifulmind.blogspot.com/2008/03/ten-thing-tuesday.html

Great Carnival, Jill!

I'm also gonna post today on who I am right now, and on a couple of name changes happening at my place.

Jenn said...

Love it!
Here you go!!

http://gracesusmom.blogspot.com/2008/03/my-ten-things.html

Jill said...

This was great! Take a look!
http://parksfamily4.blogspot.com/2008/03/10-things-tuesday.html

Jenn said...

Well, she WAS feeling better...now the 102 degree fever and sleepyness is back....at least the laundry is done!!!

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

I took that class too! I sang along with you when you mentioned "Born to win..." I'm sure you're right that we didn't get nearly as much out of that class at 19 that we could now. I wonder if they still offer it at our Favorite Christian University? The life skill I remember most is "Go to bed on the same day that you get up in." I wonder what ever happend to my poster...

Sunny said...

Oh wow! I took that class too (talking hairdryer gal and I took it together). I'm still not a morning person, though. You're right...I bet that class would mean way more now at thirty something than it did at 19. I know for a fact that I didnt take it too seriously back then, but should have.

Oh, the song!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I took that class too and I had forgotten all about it until I read your post. I took it for the "easy A" but it was really great. I wish I still had those notes...I don't remember most of it. You must have a better memory than I do!

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I missed this week (it's Thursday now, darn it) but will try to participate on future Tuesdays.

Adrian said...

love this one! :)
THANKS!
http://mtmacs.blogspot.com/
sorry, i don't know how to make it go only straight to the thankful post!

Vicki Banta said...

http://thebbunch.blogspot.com/2008/03/thankful-thursday.html

I'm thankful for you!

Jayne said...

Oh this is cool..and does go along with what I said in my post. Thanks!

Maybe I'll get in on this. Have you seen this site?

Butter Bee Happy

Adrian said...

Thanks, Mrs Brownstone! I fixed my post so people could link back to you. I found you thru Vicki, I live in the same town as her.
Take care and blessings!

JenniJ said...

Haven't forgotten about my ten things list. just been too sick to blog. Feeling better though so I promise I will get on it.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

The course sounds fantastic and the idea is just delish. Feel free to drop on by and make me and the band get out of bed and join you!

Kathryn said...

Love the Tuesday Top 10! Thanks for the comment -

http://robandkathryn.com/