Monday, March 31, 2008

AND TO THINK I DRINK THIS STUFF!

At the risk of sounding a little goofy...
One of the little pleasures of my day, each and every single day, is to have a Diet Coke...or two...or sometimes maybe three. I find myself grinning with the anticipation of the cold frosty burn that will cause me to shake my head and shiver my shoulders with that first sip. Oh, since I'm being all honest and vulnerable here, let's call it what it really is...my first big gulp!

I don't really spend a lot of money on small pleasures. I don't make a lot of impulse buys for myself, or for our home. I don't often get a pedicure, or even a manicure. I don't drink a lot of fancy coffee, unless it's really cold; but if you read this post, you know that is hardly ever! I do ~ however ~ spend money almost every single day on a fountain soda. They just taste better in my opinion; and nobody ~ I mean NOBODY ~ does it better than Sonic!

Two o'clock p.m. is the magic time for me. I've been known to give a giddy giggle and a little clap as the hour draws near, "In two and half hours, it's Sonic time!" You get the picture. Every day from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. is Happy Hour, and that means that all fountain drinks are half price! So every day, on my way to pick up the kids from school, I pull into Sonic and order a Route 44 Diet Coke with easy ice, regular cherry syrup, vanilla, and real cherries. It costs $1.03. I know, I know... That's $5.15 for the entire school week, but it's so worth it to me. I get so much more enjoyment from the fountain soda than if I swung through the drive-thru of a trendy coffee establishment where I would spend more than that for a mere two cups! Not that trendy coffee is bad...Diet Coke is just better!

Once the fountain soda is in hand, I proceed to sit in the school pick-up line (at least thirty minutes before the bell rings), roll the car windows down if the weather permits, and enjoy every single sip of that pure joy in a cup! This small pleasure gives me such great pleasure. It's one of the most relaxing times of the day. I enjoy the quiet...the anticipation of the kids being home for the afternoon...the reading of passages in my Bible...the working of a crossword puzzle or word search... the music on the radio... It is just a peaceful time for me, and I'm thankful for it.

If I do have another Diet Coke during the day, it's just from a can, or a bottle, at home ~ much like the ones that these fellows are using in this video. I would post it here for you, but they really prefer that you watch it over at their place, and I'm totally cool with that. I hope you'll check it out, though, because it's really funny...and amazing...and slightly scary for a Diet Coke drinker like me!


Ann Kroeker is hosting "Monday FunDay" ~ "a
carnival dedicated to swapping simple, amusing – maybe even silly – everyday ways you enjoy good, clean fun" ~ over at her blog. I had a "Monday FunDay" watching this video today! And even though I will never have one with Mentos, every day will be a FunDay when I have my Diet Coke!

You can find other fun ideas over at Ann's blog,

and y'all know...we can all use a little fun now and then ~ especially on Mondays!

3 comments:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Eew. Diet Coke. Maybe jazzed up with flavors, I could stomach it -- if it masked that horrid metallic aftertaste. Yick.

Anonymous said...

I love that you have found a simple pleasure that brings you such a thrill! Our Sonic closed down, so unless I see some on our next vacation, I shall have to live vicariously through your detailed description.

And I *love* that video. What clever, clever guys.

Thanks for joining in the Monday fun!

Anonymous said...

I am with you on the Sonic happy hour, but I am more of a cherry limeade girl myself.

BTW, I am NEVER eating Mentos again. lol