Sunday, April 6, 2008

TOO HOT FOR SOUP?

This week Mercedes at Mercedes Rocks has asked us to post soup recipes for

Now don't get me wrong...I love a good soup as much as the next girl, but when the weather starts getting warm, a hot soup just does not sound quite as tasty! What's a girl to do?

If you've read through my blog, then you know that I love blueberries because there is a whole post dedicated to blueberry recipes! The blueberry is also the answer to my soup dilemma. This delightful little fruit happens to be the key ingredient in a delicious chilled soup! Just as a bowl of hot, steamy soup can warm you up on a cold, blustery night...a bowl of this soup is the perfect thing to cool you down on a warm Summer evening. (You know we don't have Spring here in the South!)

Please enjoy another recipe from my mom's recipe box!

Chilled Blueberry Soup

3 cups water

1 quart fresh blueberries

¾ cup granulated sugar
ground cinnamon, to taste
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
sour cream or yogurt, optional garnish (I prefer vanilla yogurt.)
mint leaves, optional garnish

In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. In the meantime, remove stems from blueberries, then rinse and drain. Add blueberries, sugar, and cinnamon to water. Simmer for several minutes, stirring to dissolve sugar. (It is optional to puree the mixture in a blender at this point.) Set aside.In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and cold water to make paste. Stir it into the warm berry mixture, and bring to another boil. Let cool; then cover, and refrigerate for several hours.

Serve chilled. If desired, top each bowl with a tablespoon of sour cream or yogurt. You may also sprinkle with additional cinnamon, and/or decorate with mint leaves.

Enjoy!

For other great cookie recipes, click the graphic!

For other great recipes from the kitchen of Mrs. Brownstone (and my mom!), click here!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Sounds yummy!!! =)

Mercedes said...

I was hoping to come across a good chilled soup or fruity soup this week! Yours covers both! I think that the yogurt would go great with this-I dunno, the sour cream sounds good too. I love both! This sounds really interesting and good! So sorry I didn't make it to Ten on Tuesday: computer problems, migraines, and end of the school year is so busy! Thanks so much for playing! I hope to be back to my blogging self next week.