Today is "Blog Action Day", and while I do not consider myself a hardcore environmentalist, I do think that we should do our best to take care of the beautiful earth God has so freely given us on which to live. If I choose to hug a tree, I want to be sure and recognize it is because God made that tree.
Here are a few of the things that my family does to help preserve GOD'S green earth:
- We do not need an SUV, so we do not drive one.
- We carpool with another family every day after school.
- We do not carry around a lot of "stuff" in our cars.
- We have several LARGE shade trees.
- We have solar screens on the windows of our home that are not near the shade trees.
- We keep a hand towel near each sink.
- We have a low flow shower head.
- We keep the thermostats at a reasonable temp, and I don't use them at all when Mr. Brownstone is at work and the kids are at school.
- We try to clean our air filter every 1-2 months.
- We pack school lunches in Tupperware sandwich keepers - chips, fruit, all of it. This saves us money on zip-style bags, too!
- We try really hard to keep the lights off and open the window blinds instead. We are also trying to teach this to the kids.
- We use compact fluorescent light bulbs in a lot of our lighting, especially lights that tend to be on the most.
- We do all of our laundry in cold water with the exception of towels, socks, etc., which is usually only one or two loads a week.
- We drink tap water in refillable plastic bottles. We also use a smaller size bottle for the kids.
- We never litter.