Saturday, July 7, 2007

FROM A TO Z

It has always amazed me that we get so much from just twenty-six tiny letters. Short words, like "a," long words like "metropolitan," and funny words like "zakuska." (For those of you that don't know, "zakuska" means "appetizer".) We get phrases, sentences, and paragraphs. We get lyrics and speeches. We get blogs, articles, stories, and books. Isn't it amazing to think that an entire book consists of only twenty-six tiny letters?

Generally, I read somewhere between thirty and forty books a year. As long as it's well-written, I'll read just about anything ~ mystery, suspense, romance, true crime, horror, biographical, autobiographical. Each time, I pause to remember that it consists of only twenty-six letters, with the occasional punctuation mark, and maybe a number or two.

This year, I must admit something that I NEVER thought I would admit. I've read *gasp* only four. FOUR! It's already well into the summer, and I've read only four. And the real truth of the matter is that I have read all four of them in the last five days! To think about how far behind I am this year makes me feel like I'm missing out on some great adventure ~ a wonderful movie in my mind! Speaking of movies, that brings me back to the original point...twenty-six tiny letters in a screenplay, which in turn becomes a movie. Think of movies that you find simply great.
Twenty-six tiny letters in "The Lord of the Rings" Trilogy! Twenty-six tiny letters in "Braveheart".

What's even more amazing to think of is that there are twenty-six tiny letters in our translation of the
WORD OF GOD!!! I will never cease to be amazed at any intricacy in the design of my God's hand!

1 comment:

Joe said...

The Hebrew alphabet the Word of God was originally written in (well, the OT, at least) has only 22 letters!